September 27, 2021

HEITA FM

"We say it like it is"

THE CITY OF TSHWANE PLANS AGAIN TO RELOCATE MAMELODI FLOOD VICTIMS

1 min read

Image by source

ActionSA, an opposition group, accused the Democratic Alliance-led City of Tshwane on Tuesday of breaking a promise to relocate Mamelodi people who were displaced by floods in December 2019 and they have never had a place to call home since that time.

ActionSA’s Tshwane mayoral candidate Abel Tau says that on Monday, following an invite from the leaders of the flood victims, they were advised that the city had, once again, reneged on its empty promise to residents. In a meeting held earlier this week, the representatives of the flood victims were informed that the City of Tshwane had no means of relocating and housing these residents.

Tshwane Mayor Randall Williams, on the other hand, rejected ActionSA’s claims, insisting that South African’s capital city is relocating the flood victims and they are being relocated in accordance with the law. Williams accused his former colleagues of “grandstanding”

Williams told Independent Media that the city has accommodated a number of families that were affected by the Mamelodi floods and remains committed to the relocation process. All relocations must be done in line with the law and the residents must be moved to land that has been earmarked for settlement.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Powered by Hero Networks24 Inc..